Issue 2: Howl at the Moon
Deadline: 11.59pm, August 6, 2022
To us, howling at the moon represents horror, angst, despair, consumerism, new beginnings, intrepid transformation, an abyss, an anguished cry, a howl of triumph or immeasurable grief, shadows coming together… or breaking tragically, heartbreakingly apart, jaggedy lines running along the spine of an old, seldom-read book, or a solitary cloud drifting across the moon.
What does it represent for you? Send us your stories, artwork, poems, and essays.
What We’re Looking For
- Work that grabs our attention, that haunts us, creeps into our psyches, and stays with us.
- Work that speaks to us, not because it’s about people like us, but because it has a voice, an ache to be witnessed.
- An experience that takes and roots us in new worlds.
- Work that is vulnerable, with them pretty words, but that ultimately tells a good story, across any medium.
The Do’s and Do Not’s of Submissions
- Submit your work if you identify as a woman or are part of a marginalized community (a sexual, social, or religious minority).
- Send your work as either solo or collaborative pieces and include any mediums that add to the experience (pictures, music, videos, etc. that you or your collaboration partner created).
- Send us links to the complete pieces if you can’t upload them to the form.
- Send us previously unpublished material and credit TMS if published elsewhere.
- Send us your 60-word bio and a (recent) photograph.
- Limit your submissions to a maximum of three; in the case of poetry, include all three submissions in a single file.
- Include a cover letter where you introduce yourself, your work, and how it relates to this issue’s theme.
- Submit if you are a cis-man (i.e. a man not part of a marginalized community). We love you, but TMS is not for you.
- Ask about your submission until four weeks have passed.
How and Where to Submit
- Submit up to a max of 3 pieces (fiction, essays, or poems).
- Limit fiction and essays to a maximum of 5,000 words
- Submit artwork and performances in JPEG, PNG, and MP4, respectively. If files exceed 12MB, please share a link, instead.
- Include a third-person bio of up to 50 words and include any relevant details like your website and socials. (If your bio is longer, we will edit it.)
- Label your files as “Name – Genre – Title” and include your full name and artwork name in case of artwork or videos.
- Please include a bio of no more than fifty words, as well as an author photograph with your submission.
- Send your submission to email@example.com by 11.59pm, August 6, 2022.